Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	11461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	11460
    Does anyone know the name of this mine. It is owned by Kennicott.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

It looks like a bunker.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

it is located here: 40.486779,-112.192168

Comment

• lobster68w
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Dec 2008

It's the Utah Metals Company Tunnel.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• KDT1970
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Sep 2009

So does anyone know how you would gain legal access to this tunnel for a day.

Comment

• lobster68w
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Dec 2008

Given it's KUC property, I highly doubt you'd be able too. In 1910, it was said to be 11,000' long. The old tunnel up by Anaconda was supposedly 22,000' long.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• bergdh
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Apr 2008

There are also some interesting openings on the SL side. aka Butterfield Canyon. Ive never been back with gear to check them out. Id imagine that whole range has quite a few. I wish it would be opened up in my lifetime.
              <big></big>R. Berg #02
              C. Berg
              A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

• KDT1970
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Sep 2009

I would like to know where they are if you would like to pm me.

Comment

• KDT1970
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by lobster68w
                  Given it's KUC property, I highly doubt you'd be able too. In 1910, it was said to be 11,000' long. The old tunnel up by Anaconda was supposedly 22,000' long.
                  I tried to go up and look around and take some pics of the Anaconda one but the road is gated.

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KDT1970
                    I tried to go up and look around and take some pics of the Anaconda one but the road is gated.
                    Yup. As far as I know, a construction company owns that land below it. I would love to get up to the Headframe and tunnel though. There were some pics posted a couple years ago. Haven't seen them in a while though.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Its not a mine, its a drain tunnel. At one time that was the level of the bottom of the pit but its now above that level so I believe the water is pumped from the pit and out that tunnel. You can regularly hear water rushing near the entrance. Not only is it under lock and key, there is a monitored camera at the portal, inside of the grates pointing outside. KUC is very, very protective and secure with their property, I'm doubtful you would ever gain access short of working there. One can wish though
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
                        Its not a mine, its a drain tunnel. At one time that was the level of the bottom of the pit but its now above that level so I believe the water is pumped from the pit and out that tunnel. You can regularly hear water rushing near the entrance. Not only is it under lock and key, there is a monitored camera at the portal, inside of the grates pointing outside. KUC is very, very protective and secure with their property, I'm doubtful you would ever gain access short of working there. One can wish though

Last time I was up there, I noticed the camera right inside.

A little OT, but last weekend we ran into the security guy for Chief Consolidated in Eureka. KUC is drilling and apparently has taken quite an interest in rehabbing the Trixie and starting mining again. One thing the guy warned us about, was that KUC is thinking about installing motion detectors and remote CCTV around the Trixie, Apex, and Burgin. He even thought it was overkill. Best bet, just don't mess with Kennecott property I guess.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• acidman1968
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Jun 2010

Last time I was up there, I noticed the camera right inside.

A little OT, but last weekend we ran into the security guy for Chief Consolidated in Eureka. KUC is drilling and apparently has taken quite an interest in rehabbing the Trixie and starting mining again. One thing the guy warned us about, was that KUC is thinking about installing motion detectors and remote CCTV around the Trixie, Apex, and Burgin. He even thought it was overkill. Best bet, just don't mess with Kennecott property I guess.
                          The Trixie and Burgin mines are being reopened by a company called "Andover Ventures". Andover is going to be restarting the Burgin Mill, too, to process the ore from the Trixie.

As far as the drilling by KUC, it's actually by Kennecott Exploration under an earn-in agreement with Andover for their "Big Hill" project. From what I've been able to find out, Big Hill is apparently a lithocap formation - the same type of formation that Bingham Canyon is/was - and they're looking at a "target" for Copper, Gold, and Molybdenum...

Here's a link where you can read up on some of the information: http://www.andoverventures.com/proje..._consolidated/

Being as I work for Kennecott, I'm a bit interested in this Big Hill project, because if it IS a good target for copper, gold, and moly, that really will help keep me employed until I hit retirement in another 20 years or so. Then again, the OTHER reason I've been following this earn-in agreement is that Andover Ventures' stock price is in the mid 50 cent/share right now, and I've been toying with buying stock in their company. From what I've seen, when Rio Tinto finds a project they're really interested in, they'll try to purchase the project entirely, and if they can't purchase the project from the company, they just might buy the company.
                          I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Ossyconno
                            Mojave Teen
                            • Jun 2010

Couple months back I talked to a core driller from Andover around the area of the old Bill Hill shaft. He told me they are finding excellent samples of porphyry copper. He said that the best samples of ore around the Burgin, Trixie and the Apex are under the permanent water level. In fact he said the whole east side of the Tintic mining district he believes there are thousands of tons of ore that the old boys left untouched because of the water level. I wonder if the old workings of the three said are under water and if it would really be cost effective to go after the ore. Does anyone know if the Big Hill is going to be a open pit or an underground operation?
                            Last edited by Ossyconno; 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Derek
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2008

Are you referring to the Elton Tunnel or the Pine Canyon Tunnel as being 22,000' long?

Yup. As far as I know, a construction company owns that land below it. I would love to get up to the Headframe and tunnel though. There were some pics posted a couple years ago. Haven't seen them in a while though.
                              Yes last I knew Christensen & Griffith construction were leasing the lower buildings to work on their big rigs. Sometimes during the daytime working hours that lower gate is open and you can drive right to their buildings and the upper gate. I still can't believe how big that production headframe is!

Originally posted by ExpUt
                              According to a former KUC safety inspector that I am friends with, that tunnel does have some workings in it. I was told that it was a mine before becoming a drain tunnel for the pit. In the 90's my friend went all the way through the tunnel and into the pit. It wasn't 30 seconds before security was on his A$$!

Originally posted by Ossyconno
                              Couple months back I talked to a core driller from Andover around the area of the old Bill Hill shaft. He told me they are finding excellent samples of porphyry copper. He said that the best samples of ore around the Burgin, Trixie and the Apex are under the permanent water level. In fact he said the whole east side of the Tintic mining district he believes there are thousands of tons of ore that the old boys left untouched because of the water level. I wonder if the old workings of the three said are under water and if it would really be cost effective to go after the ore. Does anyone know if the Big Hill is going to be a open pit or an underground operation?
                              That big hill shaft is crazy dangerous. I don't know the exact dates that it was worked, but it does look recent (in the last 30 years or so). It amazed me how fast that the sides of the shaft have sloughed off. Does anyone know how deep and how long ago it was worked? My guess would be that if it is a 1000' or less to the ore up there that it will be a strip mine. So much cheaper at shallow depths that underground.
                              -Derek
                              Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...