• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

Ruth Mine CA

I have visited this mine twice. First time was around 2005. It was under BLM control and had open access. The part timers looking after the place were busy stabilizing structures and keeping the place up. Second visit in 2009 and boy what a change. Two of the 8 buildings have burned down, and the BLM signs which once provided info, now only state "danger" and to lok out for the typical mine hazards. It looks as if this place was abandoned by the caretakers a year or so after our first visit. And its starting to degrade. On the upside its very out of the way, so is usually missed by most people, The downside is it won't last much longer if it keeps degrading.
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Nice!
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Crystal

Wow, great looking place! Its a shame that the caretakers abandoned it, I'll have to get down there and check it out before any more of it falls apart.

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

^^ Seconded!
        Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
        TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• tails
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
          ^^ Seconded!
          Its definately close to you. A visit could be a day trip.

Comment

• Therrin
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jan 2011

Day trips are usually too much driving paired with too hurriedly looking around, then followed by too much driving.

Well... unless it's not far, but it can't be TOO close.

I'd be down for an overnighter.
            Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
            TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Beautiful photos. The mill is reminiscent of some of the old mills still standing in the Silverton, Ouray, Animus Forks part of Colorodo.

Is this in the death valley area?
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• rhartill
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Ruth Mine

Yup.

Ruth mine is in DV area, but actually Homewood Canyon area near Trona, CA w of Highway 178 along the eastern edge of Coso Naval Weapons Station.

Latitude: 36°44'46"N
                Longitude: 118°3'7"W

mindat: 79373

Road Trip America provides advice and resources for planning road trips in North America

Comment

• Fred Austin
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Feb 2012

Ruth Mine

The Ruth mine was owned by my dad and the Evans for over 75 years. For the last 20 years the BLM was constantly trying to take over the mine from my with threats and indimidation. The mine had a great caretaker on the property from the early 1960's John Daniels of Trona who I hired to watch the mine around 1963. He lived there until his death in the 1990s. My dad had maintained the roads and the water system until his death about eight years ago. My younger brother then looked over the mine for his mother. He and his son spent many weekends at the mine for the next few years. He had caretakers living at the mine. The daughter of an old Trona family and her husband and young childern. The old warehouse had been remodled into a nice cabin with running wather and a couple of bedrooms. My brother worked with the folks from the Save a Cabin folks fixing up the mine on weekends. Eventully some jack ass from the BLM in Ridgecrest intimidated my brother into turning the mine over to the BLM. They did this by intimadating him with a story that care takers were making meth at the mine. And informing my brother that they would put him, my brother, in jail when they made a "RAID" and caught the caretakers making "Meth". The meth making was a totally false claim by an out of control BLM jack ass. My young brother who has never been in trouble in his life was sacred to death. So he gave up and turned the mine over to the BLM. We all can see what a swell job they have done with their "Land Management" in the case of the Ruth Mine. The only crime that ever occured at the Ruth Mine is the distruction of this little Oasis in Homewood Canyon, the Ruth Mine.

Comment

• mr_ketchum
                    Mojave Teen
                    • Nov 2017

was this site leveled by the BLM?

Comment

Working...