X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Oh, the Rover... It's a love hate relationship. I was under there checking-out a front driveline issue that became a total replacement by the time we hit Vegas (the double cardon joint went from slightly noisy in Mesquite to ready to explode in Vegas) I never seek inspiration UNDER the Rover, it's tough to find while turning a wrench under that snaggle-toothed British monster...
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mikezauner
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jun 2008

Interesting music choice there, rob.
      80s much?
      Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• CaverStretch
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Oct 2008

Hah hah haha Scott!

Yeah, I like all types of music. I try and mix it up everytime. This time was the 80's theme. Oh yeah. Giggitty!

Remember, you were also in your "Shall Not Be Names"! Actually that was pretty fun. I think I was just tired, but I'm glad we went over there. For everyone's sake, make sure I bring a swimsuit next time. No matter what I say.
        Robert Cranney
        Mojave Mine Team
        The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• CaverStretch
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Would everyone prefer that I put the video to Slayer? I like heavier music allot. Of course I could put the video to Sean Hannity or Glan Beck. Wouldn't that be funny.
          Robert Cranney
          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike Schriber
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2008

Excellent writeup. That was a really fun trip and we really enjoyed meeting and exploring with you guys (and gals).

We missed a whole section of the Gunsite Mine that is around the mountain to the south and down lower on the hill. Something for another visit. The incline we explored was pretty impressive, as were the hoist remains.

The ladders we climbed in the Gunsite stretched 160' from top to bottom. The first was 67' and the second was 93'.

It was interesting going up but rappelling down was a lot of fun.

While the MU group went after the Columbia #2 Mine we went to finish our exploration of the Noonday Mine. We explored all four levels along the main incline shaft, descending 114' to the bottom and then 169' back to the first level (which is above the main adit). There were some amazing stopes with huge rooms on the first level. We also descended 268' to the bottom of the second incline and explored all the levels. After finishing the Noonday we exited at the rear and met up with some MU members near a huge cavern. Most of our group then pressed on to the War Eagle Mine west adit and proceed through the mine and out the haulage adit to camp. We covered about two miles (not counting other levels and exploring) and went through two mountains. We spent eleven hours in the two mines.

After a very late dinner, some of our group went back in for a quick tour of the War Eagle east incline. We descended 300' to the bottom and then worked our way back up exploring as we went.. We came out at 1:45AM after spending three hours in the mine.

We had a lot of fun around the campfire relaxing with everyone as well. It was nice to unwind and just chat.

We also took some time to mess around on Sunday morning after everyone else left. If you have 3D glasses, you can put them on now!

We ended up spending about twenty one hours in the mines over the long weekend. It was a heck of a lot of fun even though it pretty much wore us out (well, until the next weekend that is). There is still plenty to do in Tecopa so you guys just let us know when you're ready to go back! I know there is a great desire to ride the ore cart in the Columbia and I think we're ready to do it again as well.

The rest of the pictures are on our web site along with some new ones from our most recent exploring trip.

Looking forward to exploring with you all again sometime soon!

Mike
            Underground Explorers
            California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Mikezauner
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Jun 2008

Slayer is fine with me. I'm a big metal head myself.
              Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Crystal

Getting back on topic. . .(but yes Robert's choice of music was quite poor, at least the video was really good. . . muted )

There is still plenty to do in Tecopa so you guys just let us know when you're ready to go back! I know there is a great desire to ride the ore cart in the Columbia and I think we're ready to do it again as well.
                I just received my frog-system in mail and when I get proficient at it I would love to go a back and see the really good stuff in the Tecopa mines.
                I just hope it doesn't rain next time. . .

Comment

• CaverStretch
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Oct 2008

Ok. So I realized that I was making the videos as I would for scouts. So I decided to re-edit the video footage from the CA trip. Now it's just a little less "Alternative Lifestyle".

The video footage actually has the audio from the trip with some music in the back ground. The first song is Seasons of the Abyss by Slayer and the second song is Bones of Baby Dolls by Acid Bath. In case you were curious who the awesome bands were.

I uploaded it to the server, Mike just needs to convert it to flash and it will be up and running.

So next time I make a video I will pull out my hard core music cd's. Oh yeah, I can already see the potential.

Thanks
                  Robert
                  Robert Cranney
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• UnderUtah
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jun 2008

Well hold on now...This is a slipery slope of one-upsmanship by implied shame - do we really want to have every single video play to a death metal soundtrack? I am not embracing this... Shouldn't the audio work in concert with the video? So now I will need to change the soundtrack of my video from Muse and Death Cab for Cutie (I know, it sounds harsher than it really is!) to the likes of Megadeath, Slayer, or dare I say A@!l C@*T. ((Those of you familiar with the obscure death metal scene will be able to decipher the last "band" name...)) I for one defend the videographer's choice of music or their individual work...
                    Miah
                    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• CaverStretch
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Oct 2008

Well, actually I was going to put it to slayer at first. I actually have a video from the mine cart extrication that is to faster music. I liked it allot, just wasn't sure how people would like it.

I don't mind changing it around a bit. I should have put the audio to music in the first place, but I rushed the video instead. I'm fine with changing it. I actually really like it now.

But yes, the videographers choice of music is the final call. But now that I know what the group might like, I can expand my horizons a bit.

The first song is a slower slayer song. The secong one is an acustic guitar song that I have always really liked. So it's really slow but cool.

I gues I'm too used to working with scouts and have to keep in mind their "Sensitivities".
                      Robert Cranney
                      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Great Video Rob, honestly I enjoy the original 80's soundtrack. I love how Miah is carrying the yellow "football" at all times in the mine, always ready for mass nuclear retaliation from the soviets, I sure wish his video was up....

Great pictures Mike, I especially like the post-exploration dirty faces. http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/outsidetecopa2.htm

Crystal and I will definitely be heading back down there in the fall. I had a blast with you guys, can't wait to get together again.
                        -Stuart Burgess
                        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                        Burgess Exploration LLC
                        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2008

Ah, excellent on the frog system Crystal. We were all amazed at how easy it was to use. I'm thinking about getting rid of my alpine harness and replacing it with a caving harness to get more travel out of each step in the frog but it does work.

You guys will be all set for the Columbia. The easiest way down is rappelling and the safest way back up is climbing the ladders while clipped in with a Croll. You have that gear and we have the ropes (and have already rigged it) so it'll be a breeze.

Mike
                          Underground Explorers
                          California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Chitters
                            Mojave Baby
                            • Sep 2008

This was a very fun trip. I look forward to the next one! Lots of ladders and cool things to see.
                            From old spanish treasures to caves. Loads of fun to be had.

Comment

• Mike
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

Finally, the Tecopa Trip video has been posted!

View it here:

480p HQ version:
                              -Fish
                              Mojave Mine Team
                              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Bob95065
                                Mojave Baby
                                • Jan 2017

I just found this web board while looking for information on the War Eagle Mine. I went there with a group of friends the beginning of December and we had a great time. We didn't get to see as much of the mine as we would have liked. I think we came in through the main entrance near the tailings and missed the east entrance altogether. How do you get to the east entrance? We didn't see a trail and I don't see one in Google Earth. Any info is appreciated.

Comment

Working...