Deepest Mine in the US

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

aw hell that was a fun time, I almost forgot about that. If I could manage to lose 50lbs Im sure I could have followed that ladder a bit farther.. If you have any copies of those pics I would love to have them, for some reason I dont have any of the pics from that trip.

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Sure Corey... I'll set up a log in account on my Home Server for you tonight and send you the info. They are all there and you can pick and choose which ones you want to download.

Mark

Comment

• fredmcain
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Derek
        I Found this interesting and it was also a topic during our Tecopa trip. Robert I lied (not intentionally though) the Sunshine Mine in Idaho does not go past 8000'.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...NSD-DUSEL.html
        I think this is really interesting. This has actually been in the news on-again, off-again.

It would be wonderful if the physicists would give us a tour of their lab *AND* allow exploring in the rest of the mine!

I wonder if there are any plans to reopen this mine? I know that with the price of gold going ballistic, they are reopening, or attempting to reopen, some older gold mines.
        Last year there was an article in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) about an old (but very deep) gold mine in Grass Valley, Calif. that they had plans to reopen. All the neighbors were up in arms about since a new type of resident has moved into this area that is more upscale and/or retirement oriented and they don’t want the mine reopened. That is what some people call NIMBY’s (Not in my back yard).
        I say the mine was there first, so what the heck?
        Although it’s not the WSJ, here is an online article about the plans to reopen the mine:

http://www.idaho-maryland.com/s/Home.asp

The WSJ has also had a couple of articles about some gold mines in South Africa that are pushin’ the two-mile limit. They have plans to go even deeper but they have a heck of a time keeping it cool enough for the workers down there.

Regards,
        Fred M. Cain
        Fred M. Cain,
        U.S. Route 66 Recommissioning Initiative
        www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

Working...