X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spamcable200
    Mojave Baby
    • Sep 2016

Anaconda Carr fork mine and Pine canyon Tunnel

Hello Mojave underground! I'm new to this forum so here we go!
    Not to long ago me and one of my friends had a opportunity to go up pine canyon and we proceeded to do so and we got to the top and saw this huge tower! Eventually we used a bottle jack to jack open one of the doors and were fairly disappointed by was was inside but if you climb a ladder you can see on both sides of this giant tower are just massive holes that go down far enough you can't see. But they didn't sound like they went down to far. And there was a lower level to this tower but it looked like solid ground. Of course there was a pipe that you could hear running water out of and a hole bunch of other crazy sounds! We dropped a bolt down there and could hear it fall for over two minutes! I think I read somewhere that the shaft is 2000ft deep and that is crazy and it's certainly what it sounded like!

If anyone had any questions or more information please let me know!

Below are the pictures from the anaconda Carr fork mine. And there isn't much I want to say about the pine canyon tunnel due to the nature of how we got there and in...

Anaconda Carr fork mine: http://imgur.com/a/4ajJS (Kinda disappointing pictures now that I look at them sorry!)

Pine canyon tunnel: http://imgur.com/a/LwdUA
  • andrewracoon
    Mojave Baby
    • Apr 2017

I have a few questions about this mine. Is there a way I can reach you? Thanks

Comment

• os1rfw
      Mojave Baby
      • Dec 2017

The Anaconda/Carr Fork is Kennecott property. I work in the Water Services dept. of Kennecott and this tunnel is used to help drain water out of the Bingham Canyon mine. We have done many things to try to secure the area, but people keep breaking into this. We work in theses tunnels. Please stay out of there, this is trespassing and one day you might run into us. As I said, we do work these shafts, sometimes coming up from the Bingham side. Thank you.

Comment

• Dstead
        Mojave Baby
        • Dec 2023

My grandfather worked at this mine for a short period of time. The shaft under the tower is approximately 3800 feet deep. Me and a buddy of mine hiked up there not too long ago and we walked around the tower and checked out the entrance of the tunnel, neither of which we could get into. I'm shocked by the photos you shared and I greatly appreciate you for sharing them. Thanks!

Comment

• Mickh557
          Mojave Baby
          • Feb 2024

Hello, I worked here as a miner/operator from May 1976 until July 1979. I first worked in the Elton tunnel to straighten out the rail track. Half way through the tunnel is the fresh air shaft That I worked until the production shaft (the big concrete headframe) was ready to start. The majority of my years there was working the production shaft until we reached bottom and then we drove various drifts connecting the other shafts.

The Elton tunnel goes through to the Kennecott pit. A second tunnel was started which its sole purpose was to train miners once production began. One of the pics posted here looks like the training tunnel.

The service shaft (headframe long gone) was about 360 feet to the East and was connected by several drifts at various depths including the bottom.

We spent several weeks drilling out a large underground crusher room. The ore was to be crushed and then sent to the surface via the production shaft. It just so happens it was ready to be blasted during our shift. We went up to the next level due to the size of the blast, and I am the one who actually pressed the detonator. Way cool! shook the whole mine.

The hoist used for sinking the production shaft was removed and a permanent hoist was to be installed at the top of the headframe. We then had to use the service shaft to reach bottom to continue with the drifts, crusher room, etc.

During down time we explored the old original workings including the Apex shaft which started at the top of the mountain. It was a timber lined shaft that had filled with water over the years. Once the fresh air shaft reached the depth of the Apex shaft a hole was drilled from the fresh air shaft to the apex to dewater it. Very cool stuff.

I lost my best friend "kenny lefevre" due to him falling about 150 feet as we had the galloway raised to install utilities. The other operator (Juan Mindeguia) also a best friend had to take the bucket down to retrieve him. The scariest thing in my life! I still remember every detail to this day.

Anaconda hosted a Miners Day competition Sept 5th of 1978. I am on the cover of the Tooele Bulletin drilling with a jack leg.

I have so many stories here, but I'll stop here with 3 of us quit Anaconda and then did a 2 month 10,000 mile motorcycle trip around the perimeter of the U.S. Kennecott started a shaft in the big pit which I worked 1980-81, I then went to work for my old boss sinking a few shafts for Price River coal.

Comment

Working...