• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

The Infamous Emma Mine

Wow, I just came across an incredible document called the True History of the Emma Mine.
    I copied it to my Scribd account so everyone can enjoy it.

Here is an excerpt from chapter one:

DISCOVERY OF THE MINE AND ITS SUBSEQUENT WORKING.

The Emma Mine is situated in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah, on the Wasatch range of mountains, and about 16 miles from the branch of the Union Pacific Railroad, a station called Sandy being the nearest to the mine. Thence a very rough road leads up the canyon to a small town called Alta, near which the mine is situated, as well as the Flagstaff, and many other mines owned by American companies.

The word canyon, or canon, is the old Spanish name for ravine or gully, which the Americans have adopted in that region. The mine was discovered in 1868 by two men named Woodman and Chisholm, and not in 1870 as erroneously stated in the The hill on. which these men found the silver vein Prospectus. or lode cropping out was then called the Monitor Lode; and these two men having established a location on the spot where they found the lode, christened it the " Emma" location, taking the name from that of a woman with whom one of them had been consorting in San Francisco, his paramour, in fact. Of the name being derived from that of a little girl, who story discovered the mine by picking up pieces of ore from the side of the hill, as typified on the Company's official seal, is therefore wholly apocryphal. These two men, Woodman and Chisholm, were rough prospecting miners without any capital to go on working their discovery; and at this time there arrived in the locality a certain Mr. James E. Lyon, whose business was that of a mining speculator, at which he had been engaged for some few years in that and neighboring territories. He agreed to join these two men to develop their claim; and for this purpose, in October, 1868, he advanced them money to sink a shaft, the contract between them being that for such capital so advanced, he, Lyon, should become interested in the mine to the extent of one-third share.
    I would highly recommend that anyone interested in mining history should sit down and read this fascinating tale of deceit!
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Great find Stuart!

The Emma is a neat mine, I'm hoping to get you guys in there sooner than later!
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Infamous...for a reason...

The Emma was "infamous" because it almost caused a war again between us and our British brethren...
      It is a important chapter in Utah mining history, and a MUST SEE if we get the chance...
      I can't wait!
      GREAT find and thanks for posting it!

A USGS report on the area can be found here:

Geological Recon of Cottonwood-American Fork Region, Salt Lake County Utah County

-Russ

Comment

Working...