• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Mary Ellen Gulch - AF Canyon

Just got back from a trip today to Mary Ellen Gulch in American Fork Canyon. The drive up was quite nice for AF canyon, as there were very few people and the weather was wonderful. After some relaxing offroading, we came to quite a large mining complex at the back end of the Gulch. We explored around and found most of the mines to be open, with a few building still standing. The entire area is deeply rich in iron ore.

The first mine we came to was hand backfilled and is now uncovered and one could slip into the mine. I did not venture into this one as I was by myself in this area and there was no airflow, and I had no gas meter on me. I continued walking and came to an old ore bin that is in pretty decent shape. Above the bin, I found some heavy cabling running up the hill. I decided to investigate the cable and saw they lead up to a building with a tin roof. Intrigued by what I saw, I climbed several hundred feet up the hillside and discovered a very interested building. A sign on it said Private Property, but there were no "No Trespassing" signs around, so I peeked in. I found what appears to be a home / survival retreat in fairly good condition. Pots and pans were in the cupboards, dining utinsils and condiments on the table, it appeared as somebody suddenly left the location several years back and never returned.

I left the location undisturbed and continued hiking north on the trail and came to a mine with strong wooden supports running back into it. The mine was short and I had to duck the entire way. A small cave in pooled up water on the other side, so I did not proceed further as I did not have my mining boots on. It is a wet mine, but deserves further exploration. We hiked down to the stream and followed it for a bit until we came to a mine that the river ran right next to. I ventured in there a few thousand feet before returning to join Chris, as he did not have a light. This mine was also short, and there was just enough airflow for me to be comfortable.

Returning, we stopped to shoot a few rounds from the .45 and sharpen our skills before returning home. Mary Ellen Gulch appears to have some very rich mining history, rich ores, and provides a fun offroading experience. We will have to return back with the MMT and thoroughly explore the mines.

Photos of the trip can be seen in the image gallery at:
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

The lower mine is the Live Yankee, the ore bin and cables were associated with the tram that went from there back to Tibble Fork Reservoir (was a city named Deer Creek). The tram was pulled out in the 30's. The entrance at the Live Yankee only goes in ~30ft to where it is caved and flooded behind the cave. The entrance does have a neat compressor and some other mechanics. The house you stopped by is the Mary Ellen 'Hilton' as we call it... built to house miners working at the various mines, last occupied in the 80's though once in awhile a group of campers or hunters will clean it out enough to spend a night or two out of the cold. The mine on the same elevation as the cabin, ~500 yards west is the Globe Mine, it pretty much stays on elevation though does have a few minor chases, early maps show the Globe and Yankee workings merging, but that is not the case. As for the other mine, hard to tell from your description but you could have been at the Silver Bell? It was re-timbered in the 80's and ore was pulled and stored from the mine. Do you have a GPS coord of the last one?
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Good to know the names of the mines. That hotel is really cool. How far back have you explored into the Globe? This pic is what I described as the last mine I went into.

right next to the stream on the road that goes up to the globe.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike
        Good to know the names of the mines. That hotel is really cool. How far back have you explored into the Globe? This pic is what I described as the last mine I went into.

right next to the stream on the road that goes up to the globe.
        I've been through the entire upper Globe Mine (on the upper road). The mine you show along the "shortcut" road in the "gully" was also part of the Yankee/Globe complex. May have been called the Belorphan? I've got the mine working maps for those mines, but the details are pretty minimum on the upper Globe system.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Oh, as an interesting note, that partial cave in the upper Globe (with the water pooled behind it), happened when a group of guys from RME including myself were back in it
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Wow thats crazy! Who would of thought. Luckily it was soft dirt and could be dug out were it to have filled the tunnel.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike
              Wow thats crazy! Who would of thought. Luckily it was soft dirt and could be dug out were it to have filled the tunnel.
              Agreed, its actually been dug out quite a bit... we were there in early august looking for the connection to the Live Yankee, before that it had been a couple of years since I had been in, at that time it was practically just enough room to squeeze a body through, now even the begger fellas have plenty of room
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...