• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Mojave Underground - Western US | Mine KML

Mojave Underground is expanding! After some considerable thought and development, we've begun construction in moving Mojave Underground to include the entire Western States. Welcome Western US!

We've compiled a Google Earth KMZ file that includes almost every single mine location the Western US. Keep in mind that some locations may be as much as 300 yards off. Many markers are right on. The file has been updated to version 2.0
    KMZ File: http://www.mojaveunderground.com/media/western.zip

The Crystal Mine is now formally known by its official name, the Utah Queen.

Thanks to a user on the forums with us, cheever, we now have a database that has almost every mine in the nation, and many around the world. Its a 700MB file and is compressed as a Nero image. Once downloaded, you'll need to mount it to view the content.

I'd recommend downloading and installing PowerISO to mount the image
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Very cool...

I'm finding a handful of markers that have to be far more than 500 yards off, everyone thus far has been a UDOT pit... anyone else finding the same?

Where did the data all come from? I have a couple of other mine location files, this one seems to have some other do, and be missing some that others have. For example numerous mine sites across the Wasatch Front are not shown, yet lesser mines are. Just wondering if there was some criteria that had to be met?

From a quick glance some of the missing mines:
    Silver Bell Mine (AFC)
    Holman Mine (AFC)
    MilkMaid Mine (AFC)
    Bear Canyon Mine
    Smuggler Mine (AFC)
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Ya some markers are off and some are right on. The information came straight out of the MASMILS database, which should include them all. It is possible that my conversion script missed some. I'll have to check into those. There are a lot of highway gravel pits. I'm removing those from the KMZ and should have a new file tomorrow. In the mean time, I should be able to merge any other KMZ or KML files that anybody else has into the file, thus creating a more accurate listing.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

I've updated the KMZ and now has all gravel pits and highway markers removed. The file is much more manageable now.

I do keep finding mines missing over the state though.

If anybody has KMZ or KML files with mines not listed in this KMZ, please email them to
        mojaveunderground@gmail.com
        and I will roll them into our database.

Current Version: 1.2.8
        1.2.8 | 3.04.2009 -> Added mines from Kurts database
        1.2.5 | 1.15.2009 -> Added a variety of mines found around the western US
        1.2 | 7.28.2008 -> Added Utah's Hot Springs
        1.1.5 | 7.28.2008 -> Added a few dozen sites in High Uintas, particularly the Vernal area. Added a couple sites around the state.
        1.1.0 | 7.27.2008 -> Removed Utah Highway markers and about 85% of gravel pits
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

I'll be sending something your way!
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• donc
            Mojave Baby
            • Oct 2007

Pretty cool. Hey, I noticed in your title at the top of the page there seems to be an extra space between "of abondonded". Little thing.

Dad
            Teacher Extrordinaire

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Slacking big time here. I stumbled across the mine databases I had (excel file) and couldn't remember if I had ever email it to you. If so, disregard, if not its in your inbox Mike
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Thanks for the mines, Kurt. I've updated them in my western US mine sites file. You should be able to click the link up top and get the latest version.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Just pulled up the good old database, what a resource!

Let contribute and try to bring this monster up to version 2.0!
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

Excellent resource. I've been using a G.E. overlay (probably used also by others), and though it specifies between placer and lode claims, the marker locations I've figured are just a point of location on the actual claim site.
                    So basically a point on 20 or 40 or so acres, and not even roughly correlating to any actual diggings or adits/shafts.

Much of the info also seems to be rather dated, but for a while it's been a decent compilation to at least give an idea of what is in an area, to add to the research, or to help spark it.
                    Gold prospecting with Google Earth. Find areas where gold has been found before

Also! If you guys haven't come across this page yet, from minedat, you might be interested in checking it out. It has to do with layering MRDS info on Google Earth.
                    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• go_browns79
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Aug 2010

found a different one at http://offroadinghome.com/nevada/nevada.htm it only has a couple states, but does have some mines that are not on the other
                      Bill

Comment

• ghostwanderer
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Jan 2011

when planning i use acme mapper it has a topographical view regular sat view hybrid view nexrad? doq and terrain views
                        matthew zabriskie

Comment

• FinalVestige79
                          Mojave Baby
                          • Feb 2012

I'm not all that computer saavy how does one make a .kmz file? I have a few mines I frequent and they are not on this List...the Lester-Dale mining camp is 34°20'11.90"N 116°46'22.36"W but the actual Mine is not..although its a bit of a ways from the property...its a pretty awesome site. There is a stope run hundreds of feet into the mountain only accessible from ladders..Click image for larger version

Name:	426941_10150522241634331_550519330_8755821_1666384259_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	11342Click image for larger version

Name:	421903_10150522241809331_1126378160_n.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	11345Click image for larger version

Name:	417576_1863251317343_1722805526_927893_331310963_n.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	11346Click image for larger version

Name:	401152_2896191916151_1000943353_32914551_1530394195_n.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	11344
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by FinalVestige79; 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM. Reason: Pictures
                          Desert Rats Need Holes!

Comment

• Joanne
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FinalVestige79
                            I'm not all that computer saavy how does one make a .kmz file? I have a few mines I frequent and they are not on this List...the Lester-Dale mining camp is 34°20'11.90"N 116°46'22.36"W but the actual Mine is not..although its a bit of a ways from the property...its a pretty awesome site. There is a stope run hundreds of feet into the mountain only accessible from ladders..
                            Welcome to the forum!

The MU .kmz files are compressed .kml files. You can use PKZIP software to decompress the .kmz files. The .kml file contains the geographic information necessary to create "waypoints" that are displayed in Google Earth and Google Maps. If you open a .kml file in a simple text editor you can see how each mine has a set of attribute records in the file.

If you look up .kmz and .kml in Google, there is a LOT of information. Much more than I care to read.

Joanne
                            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• mike81
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Mar 2014

Any Chance of getting these files? Tried to download both with no luck

Comment

Working...