• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Little Brush Creek Cave

My fourth journey into the cave, and the groups third, Little Brush Creek Cave never fails to turn up an exciting bit of adventure. What more could a group of Mojave Underground adventurers ask for than an adventure that physically wipes out every ounce of energy and leaves you sore for days. Located high in the Uintah Mountains (40°42'34.01"N 109°30'2.28"W) Little Brush Creek is cold and covered in deep snow. The cave sees an average of 250 visitors per year, January being the most popular time to visit. It is the longest cave in Utah at 5.93 miles and 658 feet deep. It is the 37th deepest cave in the US. Little Brush Creek, along with thousands of acres of snowmelt, flow into the cave each spring, deepening it and moving logs and rocks around.

My brother, Chris, our friend from work, Caleb, and I headed into the cave around 1pm yesterday. With more snowfall and few people venturing into the gaping hole, our snowshoe hike was slightly challenging. Our previous journey with Stuart and Crystal was a bit harder. On that trip, we carried heavy backpacks full of camping equiptment so that we could stay the night at the entrance and recover a little before we headed back out.

There are two main ways into Little Brush Creek. One is to enter the cave through the steep cliffside on the eastern side of the cave. The second way, which is much longer, is to drop down into the river bed on the west side and hike the river. Our favorite choice is the eastern cliffs.
    We began our trip heading into the Ice Cave. The Ice Cave is gated to protect the delicate ice structures inside the cave. This year however, the gate has been down. Once inside, you realize just why they are so delicate, foot long crystal ice structures hang from the ceiling. Just a brush of your hair brings them down and they shatter on the ground. Ice stalagtites and stalagmites fill the back portion of the cave. Logs jam you from going very deep inside. Some of the logs are covered in a beautiful golden slime mold, which I have not seen in anything but Nat Geo mags.

After our short journey into the Ice Cave, we headed into the actual cave. Using our experiences from prior explorations, we bought knee and elbow pads to assist us through the rocky cave. The first twenty to thirty minutes are spent traversing narrowing caves and snaking over log jams. Crawls that are so tight that your sides, your belly, and your back are all scraping through; its easy to loose your nerve. In places, the only way to continue is to pull your body forward over the sharp rocks with nothing but your fingers and pushing with your feet. Eventually, we came to a fair stretch of cave that is clean and easy to traverse. Water fills most of thet depressions and makes for some interesting crossing. The temperature raises to a humid and sweaty 45F around this point. Toward the end of this nice hike, we came to what we named “The Big Stretch.” We named it this due to the impossible passage. The water here is deep and the cave walls verticle. I discovered that the rock was sticky and strong, and began stretching across the walls until I reached the other side, a good 20 feet away. The next couple hours of crawling and hiking did not prove to be very interesting. Lots of rocks, logs, and tough passages to traverse. We eventually came to the end of our journey into the cave around 6pm, where water filled the passage and was no longer traversable.

We decided to begin our journey back, which was long, hard, cold, and exausting. We eventually made it out around 9pm, put on our snowshoes, and began the steep climb back up the cliff sides. Nothing ever feels better than seeing your car and driving away from such a grueling journey underground.

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Little Brush creek

This cave is exhausting! Wow I never thought we would make it out of there without freezing solid. Its pretty awesome once you get into the parts with the little water pools. Crossing the long stretch was the most fun I have had in a long time.

-Mojave
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• joegibbs
      Mojave Child
      • Sep 2007

Too bad I'm too old for those adventuers! You guys bring back all the good memories. I was just like ya'll when I was younger!

Now next time you go to those hot springs...
      Who hides in the shadows? Who lurks beneath? Who is a puppet, who grinds his teeth? Joe Gibbs

Comment

• caverdaveutah
        Mojave Child
        • Feb 2008

Little Brush Creek Cave

Glad you enjoyed seeing Little brush. It's a very fine and very strenuous cave.

The long pool you call the "big stretch" is generally known as the Corner Pool. I like your name better, but the old name has been around for 30 years or more, so there's no point trying to change it now. From the description and photos of your trip, it doesn't sound like you got very far beyond the Corner Pool? If so, there's a lot more cave in there to see. I've been very deep into Little Brush several times, and have been wanting to see it again lately. Let me know the next time you go, and I'd be happy to join you.

The gated section was not gated to protect seasonal ice formations, although the ice formations are indeed pretty neat. The gate was constructed years ago, because of rumors of dangerous pits in that part of the cave. As far as I know, the gate has never been locked.

caverdaveutah

Comment

• caverdaveutah
          Mojave Child
          • Feb 2008

Helmets ? ? ?

Friends, please take some advice and get yourselves some helmets.

Limestone bedrock is generally hard and jagged, and if you do enough caving, then a good helmet will save you a lot of blood and stitches. Even with a helmet on, I've knocked my head on the roof pretty hard a few times. Most head injuries in caving are from you hitting the roof, but sometimes things will fall and hit you as well. One of my friends got hit by a big rock once, and his helmet gave its life to save his. It wasn't a pretty sight, but he lived to tell about it.

caverdavutah

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Hey Caverdaveutah,
            We generally do have helmets. I agree with the importance of them. Our helmets are OSHA work helmets, and generally get in the way in small spaces such as this. Perhaps you know of a good place to pick up some smaller cave appropriate helmets?

As far as how far we went beyond Corner Pool, we ventured about 2 hours beyond the pool. We didn't get too many photos back further due to my large camera bag that I left behind. The last photo is a close up of some of the rock near where we turned around. We had to climb a steep and muddy passage to this point. It was about 10 minutes later that we ran into water and could no longer pursue our hike.

There are several side passages that we want to return to and explore. Perhaps we can set up a time before the snowmelt and finish our explorations.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Corner pool

So corner pool is the proper name for that pants tearing stretch. Thanks Caverdave and welcome to MojaveUnderground! Its good to have knowledgeable folk on here. I am also interested in returning to LBCC and exploring further. Lets organize and event and see how many miles of this cave we can explore this time.

PS: Great info on that gate, I was wondering why that cave is gated. I hardly thought the ice was only reason for it.

-Mojave
              -Stuart Burgess
              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
              Burgess Exploration LLC
              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Its short notice, but this Monday, we are taking a group and heading back in. Our goal is to clear the rock out of a filled tunnel and explore a few side passages. I agree that a gate for ice would be extreme. I recall reading that was its purpose from another site. We'll have to set another time in the near future when everybody can plan for and participate in the cave.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• hondadrift
                  Mojave Teen
                  • Sep 2007

We are heading up to little brush this Monday to finish exploring the cave. This will be our 4th trip into it this winter and possibly the last for a while. We need to explore the other caves in the area. We made it back two hours into the cave moving at a good pace, I'd say three miles in. We came to an area where it narrows to barely wide enough to squeeze through. Its about 5-10 minutes straight down the main tunnel, after the 90 degree branch-off. We will be clearing it out and continuing on from there. We will probably be staying the night inside the cave.

Comment

• caverdaveutah
                    Mojave Child
                    • Feb 2008

Little Brush Creek Cave

I'd love to come, but I already have plans for this coming Monday. Thanks for the invite.

I didn't notice it before, but your picture of the cave formations (yellow banded rock) is fairly distinctive for Little Brush, and suggests you were in a part of the cave called the Onyx Passage. That cave only has a few areas with any dripstone formations, and that photo looks a lot like partway down the Onyx Passage. The last time I visited that part of the cave, right before those formations was a place where the cave ducked down into a wide 3-foot-deep pool. Beyond that were the formations (as in your photo), then the cave opened up into a big tall passage that abruptly ends at a pool.

Unless the cave changed a lot in the last few years (which it may have), most of the big parts of the cave are accessed only beyond a drop from the Glowing Stream into the H-Room. The Glowing Stream is a narrow passage that twists all around, and up and down, for a few hundred feet, then has an obnoxious 20-foot-long crawl in / through cold water. The Glowing Stream passage ends where it abruptly opens into a big room (the H-Room). That junction makes a really good landmark, climbing down about 12 feet (slightly overhung) into a big passage, from a small crawlway 12 feet up on the wall. Just wondering if you guys got that far? If not, then I hope the Glowing Stream hasn't plugged up with gravels.

Sorry I can't come Monday. Let us know how your trip goes.

caverdaveutah

Comment

• caverdaveutah
                      Mojave Child
                      • Feb 2008

Finish Exploring Little Brush ? ? ?

I wish you luck on your next trip, but unless one of the key entry passages has plugged up badly, I don't think you will finish seeing the entire cave so easily. There are LOTS and LOTS of passages in Little Brush, and some of them are pretty difficult to get to or through. And even if you do see all the easy passages, there are always more passages to be explored, high up in the ceiling where you can't reach them.

Take some good pictures, of places that are distinctive, and I'll try to figure out you where you have been.

caverdaveutah

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Thanks for the info CaverDave. Were planning another trip in March and bringing a larger group. This time were just going to clean out some of the passages that have filled up with rock and trees. Let me describe the passage we are going to work on, maybe you know if its not a good idea. There is a branch off that splits left and right. If you go right, this tunnel eventually brings you to the drip formations and ends at the pool. If you take the left, the tunnel slants downward slightly and plugs up with rock about 200' in. From our observations, we could continue through this passage if we were to clear about a 6" of rock off the top.

We also plan on exploring the first main branch off inside the cave that branches to the left. Don't know much about this one. Oh, one question I had; as you first enter the cave and pass a lot of logs, you come to a section that usually has ice formations. If you go to the right, you continue through the cave. If you go straight, the passage turns upward and requires climbing up. I climbed about 30' up before I turned back. Does this small passage go anywhere? There is also a vein of dark brown/black rock about 1" thick that runs through a large portion of the cave. Any idea what this is?

We'll be sure to take photos of anything prominent. Thanks for the info.
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• caverdaveutah
                          Mojave Child
                          • Feb 2008

More Little Brush

There are many junctions Little Brush Creek Cave, and if you go much deeper, you will need to pay close attention to the junctions and landmarks to keep from getting lost. As you first head into the cave, it goes straight for a while, and then turns at a junction. The main passage turns to the right, and probably goes slightly downhill, while a narrow hole continues straight ahead, and goes steeply upward. That narrow straight-ahead passage is fun and interesting, but doesn't really go very far safely. After going straight up, there's a small offset, then it goes straight up again. At the top, this passage levels out, has some weird mini-maze passages, then angles downhill to a dangerous 30-foot pit. There is no need to drop the pit, as it simply reconnects to the rest of Little Brush, near a place called the Mushroom Room.

To get to the Mushroom Room (without dropping the pit mentioned above), simply continue into the cave the regular way (take the right-hand turn at the first junction), and then take the very next left-hand turn-off. After a while (and some minor maze), this passage opens up into a very tall room with a sandy floor (the Mushroom Room) and a series of dead-end passages and loops. One of these passages beyond the Mushroom Room ends abruptly at a high narrow dome, which is the same as the pit mentioned above.

If the passage you want to dig in is fairly narrow and twisting around, then it is probably the start of the Glowing Stream. That passage was open when I was there last time, but that was a few years ago, and things certainly change in that cave from time to time. The Glowing Stream starts at a junction in a low crawlway over gravels: you turn left to go to the Glowing Stream (and most of the rest of the cave), or you turn right to go the Onyx Passage (and Onyx Canyon). That sounds like your description of where you want to dig. If that passage is plugged up, then YES, you do want to dig it open. There used to be a large tractor tire jammed in the Glowing Stream passage, and I remember having to crawl through the hole in the tire. Not sure if the tire is still there or not anymore. Beyond that spot is the ugly crawl over/through the cold water, and then it opens up and drops into the H-Room, and goes for a couple more miles. Almost all the big impressive parts of the cave are beyond the H-Room. From your comments, I suspect you have seen only a small fraction of the cave. Please be careful to take proper (and extra) gear, and watch the junctions carefully, and bring food and water and extra clothes to fend off hypothermia. Many people have gotten hypothermia in that cave.

The black rocks in Little Brush Creek Cave are Chert. It's a form of micro-crystalline quartz, and is very common in the limestones around Utah. In Little Brush, the Chert is generally deep black, and you will find it forming black layers, black shelves, irregular blobs, spheres, and a wide variety of interesting shapes in the limestone. The limestone dissolves away, but the chert does not, so the chert is left behind sticking out of the walls.

Be careful and safe. I'll try to join you for your trip in March.

caverdaveutah

Comment

• Mike
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Thanks again for the good info. It seems that our descriptions match up. The Glowing Stream passage would be the one plugged. It only has about one foot of clearance right now, so I figure we can have it cleared out and passage within a few hours. I do recall that tire. It would seem the water has moved it and some logs around. We cleared the area by hand and was able to pass quite easily. We'll be sure to plan safely for the passage.
                            I'll go ahead and take many photos as planned to kinda give you an idea of where we are.
                            -Fish
                            Mojave Mine Team
                            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

Well another great trip to Little Brush Creek Cave. While the turn out wasn't great, (You know who you are ) we still enjoyed ourselves and found a fair bit of adventure. With only one rolled ankle and a pulled shoulder muscle between the three of us, I'll call the trip a success... mostly.

Our original intentions were to dig out a passage that led to the Glowing Stream and the H Room. We started our venture with a hearty meal and plenty of water. After a fair bit of digging, we found it impossible to complete. There just was not enough room to move all the debris inside the tunnel. With heavy hearts, we packed up our gear at the T, and returned from where we came from.

On the way back, we played around in all the little side and overhead tunnels. Two we found interesting. The first was the left side tunnel at Corner Pool. We clamored around in there for a good hour, finding and exploring every nook and cranny we could find. Do to the time (8pm) we thought it wise to return. This tunnel requires further exploration. We stretched over Corner Pool (My favorite in the cave) and continued through the flowing tunnels. Just after passing the first pool, heading out, we found a side tunnel to the left which led up quite steeply. Chris and Caleb coined it the shower room do to its interesting shape. We eventually made our way out, injuries and all, around 10pm. Our starting time was around two.

Needless to say, we were again exausted. Lugging my heavy camera bag and equiptment made the burden of navigating the twisting corridors even more taxing. Interesting is the obvious physical improvements over each caving trip. The exercise this cave provides is very Mojave worthy!

After our investigation of the plugged passageway, I believe our March trip will detour to some of the other passageways. I look forward to that trip. Keep posted to this forum for updates.

Photos coming soon. (Posting from my PDA!)
                              -Fish
                              Mojave Mine Team
                              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...